Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 6 weeks ago
Venezuela's Embassy in Port of Spain says the signing of condolence book at the Embassy to pay tribute to those who died due to the devastating earthquakes in Venezuela begins tomorrow.

This, as Venezuela's Embassy thanked Trinidad and Tobago for donations of relief supplies it has received.

Additionally, there was an update from the US of its assistance to Venezuela.

Juhel Browne has the details.
Transcript
00:00Venezuela is thanking Trinidad and Tobago for the help it is providing following the devastating two earthquakes last week that
00:07so far has left over 2,000 people dead while the search for the missing continues.
00:14Late last week, after a meeting led by Ministers Sean Sobers and Khadija Amin on the instructions of Prime Minister
00:22Kamala Pesad-Besessa, the public and private sectors in Trinidad and Tobago agreed to have a national collection drive for
00:28the people of Venezuela.
00:30Venezuela's embassy in Port of Spain said on social media on Tuesday,
00:33We truly thank the people of Trinidad and Tobago for the solidarity shown following our call for humanitarian assistance. Thanks
00:42to the generosity of individuals, organizations, students, retirees, and the Venezuelan community, we received over two tons of food, water,
00:51medicines, and essential supplies on the very first day of collections.
00:58Venezuela's embassy added that it continues to accept donations.
01:03But as rescue efforts continue, Venezuelan National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez reported 2,295 deaths from the quakes a week
01:14ago on June 24th.
01:16In Port of Spain, Venezuela's embassy has, via social media, invited the people of Trinidad and Tobago and the Venezuelan
01:23community residing in Trinidad and Tobago to sign the book of condolences at the embassy.
01:28The embassy said the signing will begin on Thursday, July 2nd and conclude on Thursday, July 9th, 2026, between 10
01:36.30 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. and then between 2.30 p.m. and 4.30 p.m.
01:41The U.S. State Department held a virtual media briefing on Wednesday about what it called the Trump administration's robust
01:48and rapid delivery of life-saving assistance for the Venezuelan people.
01:52Charged the Affairs of the U.S. Embassy in Caracas, John Barnett, said the U.S. is committed to closely
01:58working with the Venezuelans to ensure that they work day and night for the weeks, months ahead, to attend to
02:05the needs of those affected.
02:06One of the most important needs going forward, starting now into the immediate and medium terms, of course, will be
02:14the provision of shelter.
02:15And that's why this has been a major focus as of late to bring in shelter material to take care
02:21of the displaced citizens.
02:22The U.S. diplomat in Venezuela said there is also a huge task ahead in terms of debris removal, sanitation,
02:30water and energy generation.
02:31U.S. South Compton Commander General Francis L. Donovan spoke about the arrival at the port of La Guerra in
02:39northern Venezuela on Sunday of the USS Fort Lauderdale, an amphibious transport dock vessel.
02:45I appreciate the recognition of the fort Lauderdale, as the charge said, it is part of the relief effort that
02:56will remain in place until for us from the Department of War, until the Department of State says that they
03:02have coordinated with the Venezuelan government, that it would be time to then stop operations.
03:07We have not had those discussions at this point. We are focused on saving lives right now, finding folks still
03:15in the rubble and setting conditions for logistic delivery of relief supplies.
03:19In response to a question, during the briefing, the U.S. diplomat said the cost of the recovery will be
03:24great.
03:25One thing that gives us a high level of confidence is that, fortunately, this destruction from the earthquake did not
03:32impact the country's oil and gas sector.
03:35So that production continues and that continues to increase with the investments that the United States and private enterprise from
03:43around the world had already begun to initiate here in the economic recovery phase of the president and the secretary's
03:51three-phase plan.
03:52However, Shash the affairs man said that he is, quote, focused right now on saving lives, end quote.
04:00Jewel Brown, TV6 News.
Comments