Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 11 months ago
The deadly clash at the Maximum Security Prison over the weekend that left one inmate dead and two others injured has resulted in the lock down of all the nations prisons - not allowing any visits until further notice.

Acting Prison Commissioner Carlos Carraspe confirmed the lockdown and told TV6 News it was not triggered by the weekend's events, but because of other sensitive information coming to hand today.

Mark Bassant has the latest in this report.
Transcript
00:00Sensitive information gathered by intelligence of the Trinidad and
00:03Tobago Police Service and later conveyed to Acting Prisons Commissioner Carlos
00:07Karaspi over the last 24 hours has prompted the Commissioner to initiate a
00:12lockdown at all the nation's prisons not allowing any visits by the public until
00:17further notice. This affects the Maximum Security Prison, Goulburn Grove Raymond
00:23de Yard Arruca, Port of Spain Prison and the Eastern Correctional and
00:27Rehabilitation Center in Santa Rosa. On Saturday a prison fight broke out at the
00:32Maximum Security Prison between rival gang members that left 39 year old
00:37Brent Batiste dead and two others injured at the facility. The Acting
00:42Prisons Commissioner told TV6 News in a brief interview that he was acting
00:45independently of what occurred on Saturday. Karaspi said in light of the
00:49information received they decided to take a precautionary approach pending a
00:53complete police investigation into the incident. He said once the investigation
00:58is complete things will return to normal but he could not give a time frame for
01:02such. He indicated that virtual court appearances were still permitted and
01:06those who needed to seek medical treatment at clinics would also be
01:10accommodated. Minister of National Security Marvin
01:13Gonzalez said while he was not aware of the planned lockdown he had been
01:16informed of certain actions to be taken to deal with the troubling matters
01:19within the prisons and said he supported the actions of the Trinidad and
01:23Tobago Police Service and the prison authorities whatever it might be.
01:26President of the Prison Officers Association Gerard Gordon who also spoke
01:31to TV6 News said he was aware of instructions this morning to lock down
01:34all prisons. Gordon said Acting Prisons Commissioner Karaspi was doing due
01:40diligence and said with serious things happening at the prisons it was
01:44important that certain things are put in place to ensure safe custody and
01:49maintaining public safety within the institution. He said the Prison Officers
01:54Association was in full support of the measures taken by Acting Commissioner
01:58Karaspi. Mark Basant, TV6 News.
Comments