Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 2 days ago
Senior immigration officials have confirmed that an employee believed to be selling online passport appointments and pocketing hundreds of thousands of dollars over the last six months or more was questioned last Friday about the alleged racket- which sources believe is also being facilitated by others working at the Ministry of National Security Immigration Division head office in Port of Spain.

Mark Bassant reports.
Transcript
00:00Immigration officials say they have uncovered a passport online appointment scheme in which an employee has purportedly collected hundreds of
00:07thousands of dollars over the last six months or more after charging citizens to obtain a passport appointment at the
00:13Immigration Division headquarters at Richmond Street, Port of Spain.
00:16Sources say that a female employee on contract was questioned by senior immigration officials last Friday after reviewing CCC TV
00:24camera footage from earlier in the month when the employee was allegedly seen receiving what they believe was financial reward
00:30in a small brown envelope near the elevator of the ground floor of the building from a male applicant for
00:36an online passport appointment.
00:37Multiple sources familiar with the ongoing investigation told CV6 News that the employee would often book the passport appointments under
00:45their name and add a guest.
00:47So when the person arrived at the Immigration Office, they would then indicate that they have an appointment booked under
00:52the employee's name, allowing them to enter the building and later proceed to the third floor for their appointment.
00:58The employee allegedly collected anywhere between $1,000 and $2,500 from applicants to book each appointment.
01:04Based on checks in the system, this has been going on for more than six months and hundreds of persons
01:10would have paid the fee to have an appointment booked, since according to senior sources, passport appointments are booked up
01:15until late November, making it difficult to secure an early appointment.
01:20Sources also told TV6 that other personnel inside the building and possibly clerical staff have also been receiving monies to
01:27allow persons into the building and taken onto the third floor although they did not have a bona fide appointment.
01:32Only today, a supervisor on the third floor raised concerns about persons being allowed to access the third floor without
01:39an authorized appointment.
01:41TV6 News contacted Acting Chief Immigration Officer Alicia Yuxi via her cell phone, but she did not answer.
01:49She later WhatsAppped us saying, open quote, good morning, who is this please, close quote.
01:54When TV6 News identified the call as coming from the station and sent questions about the employee and the alleged
02:00passport appointment scheme shortly before 11.30 and also followed up two hours later asking for comment, Mrs. Yuxi did
02:08not answer.
02:09Mark Bassant, TV6 News.
02:12Mark Bassant, TV6 News.
Comments

Recommended