Yvette Cooper has defended her decision to ban Palestine Action as a terror group, after the High Court ruled the move was unlawful and “disproportionate”.Ms Cooper, now the Foreign Secretary, proscribed the group in July last year when she was serving as home secretary.On Friday, the High Court ruled against the Government’s ban after a challenge was brought by Palestine Action.The judgment could have implications for thousands of people arrested for supporting the group at protests across the country.The ban remains in place for now and Ms Cooper’s successor as Home Secretary, Shabana Mahmood, has said she will appeal against the court’s decision.Asked on the Sunday Morning With Trevor Phillips programme on Sky News to explain her decision-making, Ms Cooper said: “I followed the clear advice and recommendations, going through a serious process that the Home Office goes through, involving different agencies and police advice as well, which was very clear about the recommendation for proscription of this group."
Comments