Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 6 weeks ago
Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak has filed an appeal against the High Court ruling that dismissed his bid to serve the remainder of his SRC International prison sentence under house arrest.

Meanwhile, Najib's lawyer also said the appeal for his conviction and sentence in the RM2.28bil 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) case, handed down by the High Court last Friday (Dec 26), had yet to be filed at of Monday afternoon.

Read more at https://tinyurl.com/3jn46t3n

WATCH MORE: https://thestartv.com/c/news
SUBSCRIBE: https://cutt.ly/TheStar
LIKE: https://fb.com/TheStarOnline

Category

🗞
News
Transcript
00:00Former Prime Minister Datuk Sri Najib Razak has filed an appeal against the High Court ruling
00:07that dismissed his bid to serve the remainder of his SRC international prison sentence
00:12under house arrest. His lawyer, Mohammad Farhan Mohammad Shafi, confirmed that the appeal was
00:18filed on December 24. On December 22, the High Court dismissed Najib's judicial review,
00:24stating that the alleged addendum order by the then Yang Di Pertuan Agong was issued outside the
00:30constitutional framework and was therefore invalid and unenforceable. Najib is currently serving the
00:37sentence imposed by the High Court, which found him guilty of abuse of power, criminal breach of trust,
00:42and money laundering involving 42 million ringgit siphoned from SRC International, a former One
00:49Malaysia Development Berhad, one MDB subsidiary. He exhausted all appeals in the high-profile SRC case
00:57and failed to overturn his conviction and sentence. On February 2 last year, the pardons board reduced
01:04Najib's original 12-year jail term and 210 million ringgit fine to six years imprisonment and a 50
01:11million ringgit fine. Under the revised sentence, he is due for release on August 23, 2028.
01:19On April 1, 2024, Najib filed a judicial review application claiming the existence of a royal
01:26addendum order that would have allowed him to serve his sentence under house arrest. Meanwhile,
01:32Mohammad Farhan also said that an appeal against Najib's conviction and sentence in the 2.28 billion
01:38ringgit one MDB case has yet to be filed, pending receipt of the formal court order. Last Friday,
01:46the High Court sentenced Najib to 15 years imprisonment and an 11.4 billion ringgit fine
01:52after convicting him on all 25 charges in the 1 MDB case.
01:57A
02:04to
02:04to
02:05to
02:05to
02:05s
Comments

Recommended