Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 2 years ago
The Energy Minister says that the "government will not tolerate the criminal elements negatively affecting" the solar farm project being constructed in Brechin Castle, Couva.

The Express is reporting that there had been a two-month halt to the project after gunmen entered the site and threatened workers.

The Energy Minister tells TV6 News that "arrangements have been made under the guidance of the Ministry of National Security to facilitate the smooth continuation of the project."

Juhel Browne reports.
Transcript
00:00 In response to questions sent by TV6 News about an article by the Express Business that
00:05 the Breckencastle site of Trinidad and Tobago's first industrial-scale solar farm project
00:11 was paused for the past two months after gunmen entered the job site and threatened the workers,
00:18 Energy Minister Stuart Young said he did have conversations with the Minister of National
00:22 Security and persons responsible for security at the site and a number of arrangements have
00:28 been put in place.
00:30 On its website, Light Source BP says the Breckencastle solar farm project is a solar farm under project
00:36 management by Light Source BP on behalf of the project owners Shell, BP and Trinidad
00:42 and Tobago's state-owned national gas company, NGC.
00:47 Energy Minister Young told TV6 News on Wednesday that he was informed by the shareholders of
00:52 this nationally important utility-scale solar project that unfortunately the criminal element
00:59 threatened workers at the site and works had to be temporarily stopped.
01:03 The Energy Minister further said that the government will not tolerate the criminal
01:07 elements negatively affecting this project and arrangements have been made under guidance
01:12 of the Ministry of National Security to facilitate the smooth continuation of the project.
01:18 The Energy Minister told TV6 News that this solar project is the first of its kind of
01:24 this scale and magnitude in Trinidad and Tobago and it is a priority for the government and
01:29 the shareholders and added that work is progressing after what he called the inconvenience caused
01:35 and it is anticipated that project will continue without further disruption.
01:41 In April last year, Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley turned the sud at the Breckencastle
01:46 site in Coover for what was originally supposed to be one of the two plants for what was a
01:52 then proposed 112-megawatt solar farm known as Project Lara.
01:59 The Express article on Wednesday recalled that BPTT's president confirmed to Express
02:04 Business in January of this year that construction of the proposed solar farm at Orange Grove
02:10 would not proceed as planned as the cabinet had decided to use the land for another purpose.
02:16 On its website, BP Light Source says the solar project in Coover includes a 92-megawatt solar
02:22 farm split over two sites totalling 186 acres and an overhead 2.8-kilometre grid connection
02:29 line to the existing Breckencastle substation.
02:33 Jule Brown, TV6 News.
02:36 [BLANK_AUDIO]
Comments

Recommended