Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 1 day ago
With a month to go before the awards show, ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke made the announcement at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour.
Transcript
00:00The Oscars will go hostless for a second year in a row.
00:02When the 2020 Academy Awards air on February 9th on ABC, the ceremony will once again not have a host.
00:08ABC Entertainment president Carrie Burke made the announcement on Wednesday during her time
00:13before press at the Television Critics Association's Winter Press Tour.
00:16Burke stressed the ceremony would repeat what worked last year, saying,
00:20"...let me confirm it now, together with the Academy, that there will be no traditional host this year."
00:25Way back in March, Burke told The Hollywood Reporter that ABC and the Academy would likely
00:29follow the same successful formula that saw a rare ratings uptick for the 2019 ceremony.
00:34She said at the time,
00:35"...we are extremely happy with how the show went. Odds are you'll see us repeating what we consider to be a successful formula."
00:41The 2019 ceremony, which saw Green Book win for Best Picture, averaged nearly 30 million viewers,
00:46up a whopping 11.5 percent year-over-year, and a 7.7 rating among the All Important Adults 18-49 demographic,
00:54up 13 percent from a year before. The previous ceremony in 2018 hit an all-time
00:59ratings low. Other recent award shows have followed suit and chosen to go hostless,
01:03including the 2019 Emmy Awards on Fox. Previous Oscar hosts include Jon Stewart, Hugh Jackman,
01:08Billy Crystal, Seth MacFarlane, Ellen DeGeneres, Neil Patrick Harris, Chris Rock, and Jimmy Kimmel, among others.
01:15For more on this story and everything you need to know about the 2020 Oscars, head to THR.com.
01:19Until next time, for The Hollywood Reporter News, I'm Tiffany Taylor.
Be the first to comment
Add your comment

Recommended