00:00The Air Force is reversing a Biden-era decision that initially denied Ashley Babbitt's family's
00:06request for a military funeral with honors, as first revealed by Judicial Watch, a conservative
00:12legal organization. Babbitt was killed after being shot by an officer on January 6, 2021,
00:19inside the U.S. Capitol. A warning some of this footage may be disturbing to some of our viewers.
00:30Babbitt died after being shot by a Capitol police officer as she tried to climb through
00:37barricaded doors. Video of the fatal shooting was caught on camera. Her family sought $30 million
00:44in a wrongful death lawsuit against the government, but agreed to a nearly $5 million settlement in May.
00:52Now, a letter from Undersecretary of the Air Force Matthew Lohmeyer says the Biden administration
00:57was wrong for denying her family's initial request for a military honors funeral. In a letter published
01:05by Judicial Watch, Lohmeyer says after reviewing the circumstances of Ashley's death and considering
01:11the information that has come forward since then, I am persuaded that the previous determination
01:16was incorrect. Following the Capitol riots, an Air Force spokesperson told Babbitt's family
01:23their request was denied because of the circumstances preceding Babbitt's death.
01:29In addition to reversing the decision, Lohmeyer offered to meet Babbitt's mother and husband
01:34at the Pentagon to offer his condolences. Judicial Watch commented on the family's behalf,
01:41saying they were, quote, grateful to President Trump, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth,
01:46and Undersecretary Lohmeyer for reversing the Biden Department of Defense's cruel decision.
01:51For more on this story, you can download the Straight Arrow News mobile app or visit us online at san.com.
Comments