00:00 Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Kristina Liu said some devastated Palau
00:09 or Sea Nomad homeowners had apparently torched their own houses after the demolition operation
00:14 in Semporna as they wanted to garner public sympathy.
00:18 She said such information was shared by police sources involved in the operation this week.
00:24 It was reported that hundreds of Palau people allegedly lost their homes after authorities
00:29 were said to have destroyed their wooden stilt settlements.
00:32 NGO Borneo Comrade said the demolition operation was carried out on Tuesday when the homes
00:39 were torn down and burnt down.
00:42 Footage and news of the operation were circulated on mainstream and social media.
00:47 Comrade said the demolition highlighted issues of racism, developmental injustice and statelessness
00:53 in Sabah while an another NGO Pusat Komas said the homeowners faced systemic discrimination.
01:00 Liu said a total of 138 structures were destroyed in the hot zones during their operation.
01:07 She said it was done for safety reasons following the issuance of eviction notices to the community.
01:13 She said the evacuation and demolition of the structures built within the Tonsakaran
01:18 Marine Park were done according to the law.
01:21 She said there had been security and sovereignty issues following shooting incidents in Darvel
01:26 Bay and cross-border criminal activities in unauthorised settlement locations.
01:33 Authorities have issued notices to a total of 273 unauthorised settlements built within
01:38 the Marine Park.
01:39 Thank you.
01:40 [END]
01:40 Page 1 of 9
Comments