Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 2 years ago
Australian police are examining why a lone assailant who stabbed six people to death in a busy Sydney shopping mall and injured more than a dozen others targeted women while avoiding men, a police commissioner said on Monday.
Transcript
00:00 The events of yesterday have shocked the nation.
00:07 Australians are waking up to try to deal with the shock and trauma that will come with what
00:18 has occurred, with violent actions that are unspeakable and really just beyond comprehension.
00:27 People going about their Saturday afternoon shopping should be safe, shouldn't be at risk.
00:35 But tragically we saw a loss of life and people will be grieving for loved ones today.
00:42 We also know there are many people still in hospital dealing with a recovery and our thoughts
00:52 and prayers are with them.
00:55 We also though at this time give thanks to our police and emergency services, the wonderful
01:03 inspector who ran into danger by herself and removed the threat that was there to others
01:13 without thinking about the risk to herself.
01:17 We also see the footage of ordinary Australians putting themselves in harm's way in order
01:23 to help their fellow citizens.
01:27 That bravery was quite extraordinary that we saw yesterday, the best of Australians
01:33 amidst this extraordinary tragedy.
01:37 As was reported last night I can confirm that as a result of the incident at Bondi last
01:45 night we have six victims deceased, five women and one man and of course the offender.
01:55 We are working through the process now of speaking with the families and supporting
02:01 the families of those victims, two of whom would appear to have no family in Australia
02:11 so we are working through and with agencies overseas to attempt to reach out to the families
02:20 of those victims.
02:22 We briefed last night to the extent that we believe we were aware of the offender involved.
02:27 I can tell you that a 40 year old man from Queensland, Joel Couchie, has been identified
02:33 as the offender in this matter.
02:37 We are continuing investigations in relation to him, he's a man as I said from Queensland,
02:43 we believe he came to New South Wales last month.
02:47 We are and have spoken with his family, will continue to do so and they are cooperating
02:53 with us.
02:55 We know that shortly after coming to Sydney he took possession of a storage facility that
03:01 has been identified and we have worked through that very small storage facility.
03:08 As I had said last night there is still to this point nothing that we have, no information
03:15 we have received, no evidence we have recovered, no intelligence that we have gathered that
03:20 would suggest that this was driven by any particular motivation, ideology or otherwise.
03:27 We know that the offender in the matter suffers from mental health.
03:35 We are continuing to work through the profiling of the offender but very clearly to us at
03:42 this stage it would appear that this is related to the mental health of the individual involved.
03:50 [BLANK_AUDIO]
Comments

Recommended