00:00 This has been a legal battle spanning a decade, dating back to 2013, and it's come with many
00:08 losses for native title holders from the MacArthur River region in the Northern Territory.
00:14 But yesterday, they had a major win in the highest court of Australia.
00:19 The high court ruled in favour of native title holders who had been battling for years to
00:24 prevent the MacArthur River mine from expanding.
00:27 It was a case brought by the Northern Land Council on behalf of David Harvey, Thomas
00:32 Simon and Mr Friday, who sadly passed away before he was able to hear the final decision.
00:38 Basically, in 2013, Mount Isa Mines, a subsidiary of mining giant Glencore, which operates the
00:44 MacArthur River mine, applied for a mineral lease to construct a new dredge dumping area
00:50 on land it owns near its port, which is called the Bingbong Loading Facility.
00:55 To get the lead and zinc deposits from the mine and onto the larger export ships, big
01:00 barge vessels have to carry the cargo across a shallow navigation channel, which is regularly
01:06 dredged of mud and silt.
01:09 The current dumping spot is at capacity, so a new one is necessary.
01:14 But native title owners had argued that the new dumping area would affect their native
01:19 title rights.
01:20 Yesterday, the High Court agreed with that argument, striking out an earlier federal
01:25 court ruling and ordering the Northern Territory Government to refuse the lease.
01:30 It's a decision that the Northern Land Council's chief executive, Joe Muntjard, says has set
01:36 an important precedent for future native title cases.
01:39 Well, the High Court decision really clears the air in terms of understanding native title
01:44 holders do have rights.
01:47 It's now established in law and MRM needs to understand that.
01:53 But we come with an open heart and open mind and we want to engage in a positive way with
01:59 MRM.
02:00 A new dumping area will be essential for MacArthur River Mine going forward, and both the NT
02:06 government and the operator of the mine say they will be engaging in discussions with
02:10 native title holders to come to a resolution.
02:14 But the NLC says it hopes that this High Court decision will prompt the mining company to
02:19 reconsider its approach to applying for a new lease.
02:23 [BLANK_AUDIO]
Comments