Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 7 hours ago
The New South Wales premier says he's concerned, after two men escaped from the same hospital within 24 hours, before allegedly killing three people in two separate incidents, in Western Sydney. The state government has launched a review into security at the hospital, which is the largest mental health facility in the country.

Category

đŸ“º
TV
Transcript
00:01This review is looking into how two people
00:04absconded from this facility Cumberland Hospital within the span of 24 hours
00:09and allegedly went on to kill three people in two separate incidents one of
00:13those incidents was on Tuesday in which a 25 year old man allegedly stabbed three
00:18people injured two killing another and it's been revealed that he had been in
00:24this facility and absconded while being transferred to another facility that was
00:29about a week before that incident and in the other separate incident a 31 year
00:35old man allegedly was involved in a car pursuit from southern Sydney to
00:39southwestern Sydney in the Camden area in which he crashed into and killed two
00:45women now it's been revealed that that 31 year old had also been at this
00:50facility a week earlier and he escaped after having allegedly threatened a
00:55nurse and taking an access pass so this review is going to look into how these
01:01two people absconded and why if the police could bring them back in whether they
01:06could and why they didn't bring him bring them back in instead going on to
01:10allegedly commit those acts of crime Gavin they've long been concerns about the
01:15state of the mental health system in New South Wales what's the state government
01:19said it's going to do well as this comes almost two years after the Bondi
01:25Junction mass stabbing in which six people were killed and that brought a lot
01:29of scrutiny on to the New South Wales mental health system and and how the
01:34system treats people with psychiatric illnesses recently that inquiry there was a
01:40coronary inquiry which handed down 23 recommendations and found that this is
01:45really a fragmented under resourced and under pressure mental health system in
01:50response to that the New South Wales Premier Chris Minns has said this is a
01:54system he's confirmed it is a system under pressure and that they're keen to
01:57act on those recommendations and fix some of those systemic flaws but that in
02:02order to recommend all of those recommendations will take some time here's
02:06what he had to say this morning I think broadly speaking New South Wales
02:11health is treating more people with psychiatric illnesses even violent
02:16psychiatric illnesses than ever before and the vast majority of those cases end
02:21up with you know the community safe the individual getting help that they need but
02:26this one has gone badly wrong and we need to make sure that we're learning the
02:31lessons from it it would be unfair to say it's been ignored it wouldn't be
02:35correct to say that we haven't put extra funding in we are putting enormous
02:38resources in more than ever before a massive increase in that sector of the
02:43the health spend but you know we can always do it better
02:51New South Wales Premier Chris Minns there saying that they have put hundreds of
02:55millions of dollars into the New South Wales mental health system and saying it
02:59in most cases the vast majority of cases people are kept safely and treated
03:03properly but he said in the case of these two recent incidents in which two
03:07people escaped this should not have happened and he said he feels deeply
03:11concerned and also terrible for the family of those people affected by these
03:15alleged crimes he said that the review will look into how this has happened and
03:20that the government will act upon that as soon as it's handed down
Comments

Recommended