Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 2 years ago
According to the IOM, over 3,150 migrants died or went missing in the Mediterranean last year, making it the deadliest migration route in the world.
Transcript
00:0064 people were missing in the Mediterranean Sea and several were rescued after their ship
00:05wrecked off Italy's southern coast on Monday.
00:09The search and rescue operations started following a May Day call by a French boat, the Italian
00:14Coast Guard said in a statement.
00:18The boat was sailing in a border area where Greece and Italy carry out search and rescue
00:22operations.
00:23The survivors and the people still missing at sea came from Iran, Syria and Iraq, the
00:28UN agencies said.
00:32The Italian Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre immediately diverted two merchant vessels
00:36sailing nearby to the scene of the rescue.
00:43One of the 11 rescued migrants died soon after, the Coast Guard said.
00:49In a separate shipwreck, 61 people were found on a wooden boat, of which 51 were rescued.
Comments

Recommended