00:00Former Prime Minister Datuk Sri Najib Razak on Tuesday disagreed with the prosecution
00:07in his 1MDB corruption trial that both the Attorney General and Malaysian Anti-Corruption
00:12Commission Chief Commissioner were removed because of their involvement in a special
00:16task force investigating the 1MDB scandal in 2015.
00:21Najib said the task force set up in 2015 to probe the company's misconduct was essentially
00:27an illegitimate body, as it was not set up using proper regulations.
00:32He said the establishment of the task force was not under the purview of the Attorney
00:36General.
00:37He said if the Attorney General was to set up a task force today, it would still be illegal
00:42as there were no law nor provisions for it.
00:45He disagreed with the prosecution that there was a roadblock to the task force after the
00:49removal of Tan Sri Abdul Ghani Patel and Tan Sri Abu Qasim Mohammed, saying that the investigation
00:56was still ongoing despite the task force being illegal.
00:59He also disagreed that the investigation was diverted after the disbandment of the task
01:04force.
01:05When asked about him ordering the then-Bank Nagara governor to issue a statement that
01:09it was not an offense regarding the inflow of monies in his personal bank accounts, Najib
01:14said he did not order the governor to do so.
01:17He said he asked the governor whether the monies could be validated or not.
01:21The task force was disbanded in July 2015.
01:25In October last year, Najib was ordered by the High Court to enter his defense on four
01:30counts of using his position to obtain 2.28 billion ringgit gratification from one MDB's
01:36funds and 21 counts of money laundering involving the same amount.
Comments