11 years ago2K views
Visit: http://www.ederedalumni.org and http://www.edered.org
EDERED as an organization was founded in 1985. The first Children's Encounter however took place in 1982; the first Youth Encounter was held in 1987. The idea grow out of an initiative put forward by the Council of Europe in a seminar hosted by Sweden in Eskilstuna in 1979 under the title, "Children and Culture in Contemporary Europe".
The Encounters usually last for two weeks and consist of an intensive inter-cultural workshop programme and planned social activities. Participants do not bring prepared theatre performances to the Encounters.
Six Principles of EDERED have been developed and they form the philosophical basis for all Encounters.
* The Encounter should be open-minded and welcome diverse ways of working in drama/theatre and facilitate diverse approaches in methodology.
* The Encounter should provide opportunities for sharing these diverse approaches.
* The environment of an Encounter is non-competitive.
* The Encounter is a process of listening and inter-cultural co-operation and provides opportunities for children/young people/leaders to share their ideas and experiences in a safe environment.
* Each Encounter must recognise the unique opportunity provided for the social interaction of children/young people from diverse cultures.
* It should be fun