00:00U.S. President Donald Trump announced that a top ISIS commander was killed by U.S. and Nigerian forces.
00:06In a True Social post, Trump said that Abu Bilal al-Manouki, the second in command of ISIS globally, was
00:14eliminated.
00:15In a statement on X, Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tenubu said early assessments confirmed that the ISIS commander was killed,
00:23along with several of his lieutenants, during a strike on his compound.
00:27This video, released by U.S. Africa Command on Saturday, claims to show a strike on ISIS fighters in Nigeria,
00:35including al-Manouki.
00:37Tenubu said Nigerian forces worked closely with the U.S. military in what he called a daring joint operation that
00:44dealt a heavy blow to the ranks of the Islamic State.
00:48Trump, who has previously accused Nigeria of failing to protect Christians from Islamist militants, thanked the Nigerian government for its
00:56partnership in the operation.
00:58Many Nigerians Reuters spoke to were in favor of it.
01:02To me, I want more of such strikes, because we've been fighting this terrorism without fighting terrorism.
01:10The terrorism issue has become something else.
01:14But if U.S. can help us to eliminate all these things, I see nothing back there.
01:21Nigeria's Borno State, where the strike was carried out, has endured an insurgency waged by Boko Haram and its splinter
01:28group, Islamic State, West Africa Province, for 17 years.
01:33Thousands of people have been killed and some two million displaced.
01:38Nigeria denies discriminating against any religion and says its security forces target armed groups that attack both Christians and Muslims.
Comments