Skip to playerSkip to main content
  • 4 hours ago
The Pre-Trial Chamber I of the International Criminal Court (ICC) has granted former president Rodrigo Duterte’s request to waive his right to attend next week’s confirmation of charges hearing, allowing the proceedings to be held in his absence.

In a decision dated Feb. 20, the Chamber ruled that “the hearing on the confirmation of charges will be held in the absence of the suspect,” covering all sessions scheduled from Feb. 23 to 27.

READ MORE: https://mb.com.ph/2026/02/20/icc-grants-duterte-request-to-skip-confirmation-hearing

Category

🗞
News
Transcript
00:00The International Criminal Court has granted former President Rodrigo Duterte's request to waive his appearance at next week's confirmation of
00:08charges hearing.
00:09In a decision dated February 20th, the ICC's pre-trial chamber 1 ruled that the hearing scheduled from February 23rd
00:18to 27th will proceed in his absence.
00:21The court said Duterte submitted a signed written waiver confirming that he understood his right to be present and the
00:27legal consequences of waiving that right.
00:30Judges found the waiver complied with ICC rules and clarified that his absence is not based on health grounds.
00:37In January, the chamber had already declared him medically fit to participate in pre-trial proceedings.
00:44The confirmation hearing will determine whether there is sufficient evidence to move the case forward to trial.
00:49While such hearings may proceed if an accused properly waives attendance, ICC rules require the accused to be present during
00:57the trial itself.
00:59Duterte's lawyer said the waiver is within his rights and reiterated that the former president does not recognize the ICC's
01:06jurisdiction over him.
Comments

Recommended