Last Update: May 23rd, 2018
This page contains information on any cookies likely to be saved to your device, whether it be your computer, cell phone, tablet or smart TV, when visiting (i) the DAILYMOTION website, accessible at www.dailymotion.com and elsewhere, including its local or specific extensions (like advertising.dailymotion.com), and/or (ii) DAILYMOTION apps, and/or (iii) the DAILYMOTION video player (jointly referred to hereinafter as the “Site”).
What are cookies?
Our chief aim is to ensure that you receive a reliable, effective, and functional service when browsing on our Site. On occasion, services provided on the internet need to save certain information on your device (computer, cell phone, tablet, …) using small files called “cookies”.
These text files are saved to your computer when you visit a site or view an ad. They are handled by your web browser and only the issuer of a cookie is likely to read the information it contains.
- Measure and analyze the audience for each page in order to subsequently improve the ergonomics, browsing, or visibility of content;
- Measure the reliability of its Site by analyzing the number of visits to its pages in real time, and offer varied ads that are adapted to users’ areas of interest;
- Recognize previously identified users whenever they connect (so users are not repeatedly asked for their username and password for each webpage they visit).
Cookies may also be saved by social media tools if you use these functionalities (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.).
Cookies can be divided into several types: functional cookies, user experience personalization cookies, analytics cookies, advertising cookies, and social network cookies.
Besides how they are used, cookies may also be classified according to their issuer:
- Internal cookies are saved directly by DAILYMOTION (also called first-party cookies);
- Third-party cookies are saved by companies of the Vivendi group or by DAILYMOTION partners, which are usually advertising partners
Cookies may consist of « session » cookies that only last for as long as the site is being visited, or may consist of cookies of a longer duration, which allow information from one visit to be memorized until the next.
You can configure cookies settings yourself by accessing the cookie settings page available at all times on the Site. If you’d like to learn more about cookies, CNIL has prepared an explanatory video entitled “Comment j’ai attrapé un cookie ?”, which can be accessed at the following link: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16lt53_tutoriel-qu-est-ce-qu-un-cookie_tech
What are the cookies issued on our Site used for?
Internal cookies that are directly saved by DAILYMOTION are mainly functional cookies. They are saved on your device primarily for the browsing needs on our Site, identification, and for the optimization and personalization of our services and content.
These functional cookies serve the following purposes:
- User authentication cookies: Authentication cookies allow you to access your account using the username you have already provided us with.
- Personalization cookies: Personalization cookies make it possible to adapt the appearance of our Site to the display preferences on your device (language, display resolution, operating system, security settings, etc.) whenever you visit our Site, all according to the tools and software for viewing and playing media present on your device.
- Statistics cookies: Statistics cookies allow us to ascertain the use and performance of our Site and improve its functioning. To accomplish this, these cookies track your browsing in order to establish statistics on visits. For the most part, these cookies are saved and used by DAILYMOTION.
- Audience measurement cookies: DAILYMOTION uses audience measurement cookies (including Google Analytics) to obtain anonymous visitor statistics for its Site, which are then used to optimize it by analyzing the browsing activity of users and detecting any potential malfunctions.
- Functional cookies used to conduct ergonomics/marketing studies: Our Site uses an A/B testing solution that relies on cookies to improve the user experience. A/B testing makes it possible to personalize web content and offer variety.
Most internal functional cookies expire at the end of your visit to our Site. Others have a longer duration, although this never exceeds 13 months in accordance with current regulations.
Cookies saved by third parties
These are cookies saved on your device by non-affiliated companies when you browse on our Site, or when you click on an advertisement on our Site.
- Cookies from the Vivendi group
As DAILYMOTION is an entity of the Vivendi group, cookies are likely to originate with companies in the Vivendi Group. These cookies are considered “third-party cookies.” Cookies from the Vivendi group may be saved when browsing on our Site, watching our videos, or when you click on an advertisement. They allow for a determination of your areas of interest based on the pages you visit on our Site, and for personalization of the ads we show you on other sites from the Vivendi group, such as Canal+, Universal, Digitick, Wengo, Seetickets, Radionomy, MyBestPro, etc. For a complete and updated list of entities belonging to the Vivendi group, please visit http://www.vivendi.com/en/vivendi-en/vivendi-in-brief-2/.
- Cookies saved by partners
- Third-party advertising cookies: these cookies are saved via third-party content distributed in our advertising spaces
Advertising cookies are saved by non-affiliated companies (like advertisers, advertising agencies, communications consulting agencies, audience measurement companies, providers of targeted advertising, etc.) through the advertising spaces on our Site; the operation of these spaces helps pay for the content and services that we provide to you free of charge.
First and foremost, these cookies allow us to record the total number of ads viewed in our advertising spaces, to identify these ads, their number of respective views, the number of users who have clicked on each ad, and where applicable, the actions then taken by these users on the sites where these ads take them, all in order to calculate amounts owed to members of the advertising distribution chain (communications agency, advertising agency, distribution site/media) and to establish statistics.
These advertising cookies also allow us to adjust the advertising content displayed on your device in our advertising spaces in accordance with the browsing behavior of your device on our Site, or even on the location data transmitted by your device, where applicable (behavioral advertising). This allows you to see the advertisement we believe to be the most suitable for the user profile on your device. These cookies also allow us to limit the number of times you see the same ad on the same media.
We do not always have final control over these cookies saved by non-affiliated companies that act independently. Such cookies are subject to the privacy protection policies of said third parties. Nevertheless, if you wish to refuse all or some of these cookies, please follow the steps outlined below.
- Social network cookies (Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Pinterest, etc.) generated by share buttons
We are likely to include computer applications originating with third parties on our Site. These applications allow you to share content from our Site with third parties. These include "Share" and "Like" buttons from social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+.
Social networks providing a share button will likely identify you using this function, even if you have not used this button during your visit. This type of button can allow the social network in question to track your browsing behavior on our Site simply because your social network account was activated on your device (open session) during your visit.
We have no control over the process used by social networks to collect information on your browsing of our Site and information pertaining to the personal data in their possession. We suggest you consult the privacy protection policies of these social networks to learn about how browsing information collected by them through the use of these application buttons (e.g., for advertising), and ways to disable their tracking functions.
- Third-party advertising cookies: these cookies are saved via third-party content distributed in our advertising spaces
Accepting or refusing cookies
If you click on “Personalize”, you will be redirected to the cookie management page which gives you the ability to delete or disable all or part of these cookies directly from the Site, with the exception of the functional cookies necessary for the Site to function, as indicated above.
You are informed that when you visit a third party website on which the DAILYMOTION video player is embedded, you may see a message within the video player asking for your acceptance of cookies. By playing the video, you confirm your acceptance of cookies, but you may also chose to personalize your cookie settings before playing the video.
In any case, you may change your mind at any time and decide to accept, delete or disable all or part of these cookies, either directly through the Site, or by using your browser or professional platforms for this purpose, with the exception of the functional cookies necessary for the Site to function, as indicated above.
Choices available through the Site
A cookie settings page, enabling you to personalize your cookie preferences, is available at any time on the footer of our website, as well as through the DAILYMOTION video player settings menu.
Choices available through your browser
All browsers offer configuration options to:
- inform you of the cookies saved on your computer;
- allow you to accept or refuse them, on either a case-by-case basis or outright.
The configuration of each browser is different. We suggest you consult the help menu on your browser in order to configure your browser as you wish.
Consenting to cookies
The saving of a cookie on a device is governed by user-defined settings for the user’s browsing software.
If you have accepted the saving of cookies through your browser, they will be integrated into the pages and content you have viewed and may be temporarily stored in a dedicated location on your device. They will only be readable by their issuer.
There are different options for refusing cookies, which may impact the functioning of the service you request on our Site.
How to implement your choice according to the browser you use
When it comes to managing cookies and your choices, the configuration of each browser is different. More information can be found in the help menu of your browser, which will inform you of the proper procedure to follow:
How to manage and/or delete cookies according to the browser you use
At any time you may view the cookie management settings used by your browser, and delete any cookies it has stored, which must be done one by one. To make your search easier, please find below a list of direct links for each of the main browsers in use:
This configuration is different on your cell phone or tablet:
Do Not Track
Finally, you may configure the browser on your device to send a code informing websites that you do not wish to be tracked. This option is often called “Do Not Track” and can be accessed at the following links for the main browsers listed below:
However, we draw your attention to the fact that we cannot guarantee that this choice will always be acted on by independent non-affiliated companies. Therefore, on its own, this option does not represent a solution for refusing all cookies.
Choices available through professional platforms
The refusal of cookies will not prevent the display of advertising on our Site. However, its content will no longer be adapted to the browsing data from your device.
NOTICE: We remind you that refusing cookies is likely to modify the terms of your access to our Site as well as its use (viewing our videos, saving identifying information, receiving personalized recommendations, etc.). Consequently, we invite you to configure your cookies using the methods explained above, keeping in mind their purpose, as explained above.