6 years ago20 views
Check out 5 surprising benefits of weight loss.
If looking good isn't enough inspiration for you, consider these 5 additional weight loss benefits according to prevention.com
5. Save your knees. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention you increase your risk of osteoarthritis by 10 to 15 percent for women and 5 to 10 percent for men for every pound of excess weight you carry.
4. Breathe easier. Take off 10 percent of your body weight and you’ll increase your lung function by 5 percent. A 25 percent reduction will get you a 10 percent improvement, says a research study of 50 obese women conducted by the University of Ottawa.
3. Carrying your groceries will be easier. A Wake Forest University study determined that people with extra fat around their middles were 57 percent more likely to have diminished muscle strength.
2. Save Big Money. Shedding 5 percent of your weight can prevent you from spending up to 825 dollars in medical bills annually. The Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research in Portland, Oregon performed research over a period of 4 years that verifies this.
1. Boost your memory. Scientists in Sweden have found that being overweight for an extended period of time can shrink your temporal lobe, impairing memory and shortening attention spans. And they believe that the shrinkage is a result of blood flow to the brain being compromised by obesity.