3개월 전8 views
After a series of missile provocations last year, North Korea claimed to have successfully launched an intercontinental ballistic missile that could hit any part of the U.S. mainland.
However,... a senior U.S. military official says Pyongyang is overselling what it's actually able to do.
Our Choi Si-young has more.
Bloomberg reports that the Vice Chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff Paul Selva believes Pyongyang has not completed the "last two pieces" of ICBM development.
Speaking at an Air Force Association breakfast in Washington on Friday, local time, General Selva said the U.S. has not seen "a demonstration of a reliable" reentry vehicle OR a "reliable alarming, firing and fusing system" that would allow successful detonation.
He attributed the delay to North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's decision to halt missile tests.
North Korea hasn't conducted any missile tests since Kim and President Trump held their summit in Singapore in June.
However, the U.S. suspects the regime continues to produce fissile material.
The general added that while North Korea's missiles are unreliable, the U.S. should be on guard for further missile launches, saying Kim could shoot another one at any time.
If North Korea did fire an ICBM at the United States, Selva said the U.S. might decide against trying to shoot it down... because with what it knows about the system and its trajectory,... it's unlikely to hit anything.
Choi Si-young, Arirang News.