3 years ago294 views
Learn how to make Varai Pulao, navratri special main course recipe by Anushruti only on Rajshri Food!
Make your Navratri Vrat more special, by making the delicious and appetizing Varai Pulao. This Pulao is wonderful in taste and adds great variety and nutrition to your diet. So with Chef Anushruti learn how to make the tempting and divine Varai Pulao
Ingredients: (Serves 6)
- 440 gm (2 cups) barnyard millets or varai
- 2 carrots, cut into stripes
- 2 bell peppers, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded (optional)
- 1 potato, cut into cubes (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 cloves
- 6 green cardamom seeds
- 8 to 10 peppercorns
- 1” cinnamon
- 4 to 5 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 green chili, smashed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup extra water if required
- 2 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- Dry roast the millets on a low flame until they acquire a nutty flavour, about 8 to 10 minutes, while ensuring that they do not turn brown. This step is crucial to get cooked millets which are fluffy and do not stick to each other.
- Prepare the vegetables and keep aside.
- In a small iron skillet, put int he whole spices and roast until aromatic, about 3 to 4 minutes. Powder these spices with a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder.
- In a large pan or a cocotte, put in the ghee or vegetable oil and heat over a medium flame until the ghee melts if using ghee or until the oil is hot but not smoking. Lower the heat and put in the ginger and chili, stir fry for a minute. Put in the vegetables and cook covered for about 3 to 4 minutes on low heat.
- Pour in the water over the vegetables and bring to a boil. Lower the heat.
- Stir in the powdered garam masala and salt.
- Wash the millets and and put them into the water, just as it comes to a boil.
- Squeeze in the lime juice.
- Cover and cook till done on the lowest heat possible, for about 15 to 20 minutes. After 15 minutes, i
Embed the video
Embed the video