Teenager Survives Deadliest Snake Bite - as part of the news series by GeoBeats.
Most people are afraid of snakes. Imagine getting bitten by one of the world's most venomous.
A 17-year-old boy in Australia walked into a hospital’s emergency ward in Kurri Kurri with a bite on his finger from an inland taipan. This particular breed of snake is often called the “fierce snake” because its venom is extremely toxic - one drop can reportedly kill 100 people. An official for the Australian Reptile Park states “It can kill someone within maybe 45 minutes. There have been reports of people experiencing effects of venom within half an hour as well.” Amazingly, the teenager survived the ordeal due to the quick anti-venom treatment and he is said to be responding to treatment but remains hospitalized.
Authorities hope to interview the boy, to answer the mystery over how he came into contact with the snake. That type of snake is not known to frequent the coast, as they usually live in the desert. Many believe the snake was kept as pet, illegally.
What do you think about snakes? Ever seen one?