Man Gets Second-Degree Burns From Sunscreen

Try Our New Player
Geo Beats
2.2K
290 views
  • About
  • Export
  • Add to
Man Gets Second-Degree Burns From Sunscreen - as part of the news series by GeoBeats.

We’re constantly hearing about the importance of wearing sunscreen; however one Massachusetts resident has suffered the unthinkable from the all-important product.

Brett Sigworth applied his ‘Banana Boat’ spray bottle sunscreen on before heading over to cook on his grill, and caught on fire, encountering second degree burns to his chest and back, exactly where the sunscreen had been dispersed. Although the bottle did have a 'flammable' warning, it didn't specify whether that applied after the product was absorbed into skin. Brett has no intention of suing but he recommends stricter, detailed warning labels and an investigation in order to prevent future incidents.

A fire department representative stated that many similar incidents have occurred due to other aerosol, flammable products and in this case, urges the public to choose lotion formulas if the person is going to be in close proximity to flames.

In a similar scenario, an Essex man suffered severe burns when he attempted to to kill a spider by spraying an aerosol product on it. He used a lighter to cast some illumination on the bug, but the flame caught the aerosol gas and blew the man off his feet.

0 comments