The Massage Therapy Foundation advances the knowledge and practice of massage therapy by supporting scientific research, education, and community service.
The Foundation commits to:
• Upholding the principles of philanthropy
• Contributing to the understanding and appreciation of massage therapy.
• Increasing the Foundation's influence, credibility, and visibility in health and wellness.
• Sustaining the Foundation's organizational effectiveness.
• Fostering the spirit of collaboration.
1. Advance research on therapeutic massage and bodywork
2. Foster massage therapy initiatives that serve populations in need
3. Promote research literacy and capacity in the profession
4. Support the evidence-informed practice of therapeutic massage and bodywork based upon available research, client factors, and practitioner experience and judgment
5. Fortify the Foundation's financial resources and organizational effectiveness
The Massage Therapy Foundation was founded by AMTA in 1990 with the mission of bringing the benefits of massage therapy to the broadest spectrum of society through the generation, dissemination, and application of knowledge in this field. We do this by receiving donations and granting funds for research, community service, educational initiatives, and conferences. We also do this by providing direct consultation to the medical and research communities, and by educating massage therapists about the world of research.