Advertising Console

    Fort Aguada, Goa

    Repost
    59 views
    Fort Aguada is a well-preserved seventeenth-century Portuguese fort standing in Goa, India, on Sinquerim Beach, overlooking the Arabian Sea.Aguada Fort, which crowns the rocky flattened top of the headland, is the best-preserved Portuguese bastion in Goa. Built in 1612 to protect the northern shores of the Mandovi estuary from Dutch and Maratha raiders, it is home to several natural springs.
    Fort Aguada was built by the Portuguese in 1612 to protect Goa from the Dutch and the Marathas. Although it does not compare to the forts of Rajasthan, it is a very well-preserved and interesting fort. Its name comes from the natrual springs within the fort that provided water to the fort and passing ships.
    The fort itself, sits high on a hill with great views across Agauda Bay/Mandovi River to Panaji on one side to views across the Arabian sea on the other. The walls are 5 metres high and 1.3 metres wide and you can walk along the top.