Church of Our Lady of Rosary is one of the oldest churches of Goa. It is located atop the western side of the Holy hill or Monte Santo overlooking the Mandovi river and Divar Island. According to the historians it was the very site where Alfonso de Albuquerque guided his troops to victory in 1510. This church was entrusted to the care of the Franciscans in the year 1544. . It was held in great veneration by the public as it was here that St. Francis Xavier used to teach catechism every evening to the public who flocked together at the sound of a little bell he rang.
Beauty of Church of Our Lady of Rosary
The church has the appearance of a fortress, having openings in its wall to visualize invaders. . Built of laterite and plastered with lime mortar, it has a two-storied portico. The portico as well as the façade of the church has rounded towers on either side with the cross on top. The roof of the church is tiled, supported by wooden rafters. Its design is simple, in front of its altar lies the tombstone of Garcia de Sa, one of the early governors of Goa. Its interior is simple and the main altar of which bears the image of Nossa Senhora de Rozario or Our Lady of the Rosary