he building was begun in 1821 and not completed for twelve years. In 1842, the area had been just a dump of coconut shells and debris. The Police Commissioner, Charles Forjett, thought of converting the Green into a circle surrounded by buildings. He was supported by governors Lord Elphinstone and Sir Bartle Frère. The garden was planned in 1869 and completed in 1872 with well laid out walkways and trees planted all around. The whole complex was then renamed Elphinstone Circle after the Governor, Lord John Elphinstone. An ornamental fountain was placed in the centre, but it was replaced by a modern art deco iron pipes design.
Times of India Buildings, corner of Elphinstone Circle (now Horniman Circle), ca. 1880
The park was a favourite social venue of the Parsi community. In the pre-independence era, a band used to perform there every evening.
The Asiatic Society of Bombay overlooks the Horniman Circle Gardens and the Reserve Bank of India.
Luxury fashion house Hermes opened its store 15 A, Horniman Circle Gardens, occupying two floors of a heritage building. It has become the first luxury brand in India to open on the street rather than in a luxury propert