6 years ago233 views
http://www.nma.tv Two deaths in Louisiana have been blamed on amoeba infections caused by using neti pots. Neti pots are a kind of device that delivers a nasal rinse, reliving those suffering from congestion and sinusitis. However, users are warned to only use their neti pots with distilled or boiled water because tap water could be contaminated with amoebas that attack the brain. The amoeba lands in the nasal cavity before traveling up to the brain. They literally eat the brain cells, causing encephalitis. Although amoeba infections are thankfully rare, once they take hold, the results are often disastrous. Users of contact lenses have also been warned to take precautions: swimming or showering with your contacts in increases your chance of introducing an amoeba infection to your cornea.