6 years ago989 views
Canals of Venice, Italy - Ten Amazing Facts - as part of the travel series by GeoBeats.
- 6500 years ago, these canals did not exist.
- At that time, water from dissipating ice age flooded the plain to create this lagoon.
- In order to construct buildings, wooden beams were used as foundation under water.
- These canals have acted as a natural defense mechanism from invaders.
- Since Venice has no cars, canals are used as roads for all activities like marriages and funerals.
- Kids in Venice learn how to row boats just like they learn to drive in other cities.
- 400 bridges cover the canals in Venice.
- There are about 150 canals.
- Flooding is routing in Venice. Piazza San Marco gets flooded during high tide.
- Due to increased flooding recently, many residents have moved to second floors.