Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has said he will not stand for re-election in September, as protests against his rule continue.
Appearing on state TV, Mr Mubarak promised constitutional reform, but said he wanted to stay in office until the end of his current presidential term.
The announcement came as hundreds of thousands continued to protest in central Cairo urging him to step down immediately.
Tuesday's demonstration was the biggest since the protests began last week.
The demonstrators are angry at the 30-year rule of President Mubarak and are pushing for the biggest shake-up of the political system since 1952 when army officers deposed King Farouk.
A new government was unveiled on Monday but has failed to receive concrete international support.
Chants have been heard in Cairo such as "Mubarak go away to Saudi or Bahrain" and "we don't want you, we don't want you".
The protests against Mubarak are gradually merging into a loose reformist movement encompassing many sections of Egyptian society.