7 years ago484 views
The president of Egypt has made a televised statement following violent clashes, announcing that he will dismiss the government.
Hosni Mubarak said that Egypt needed dialogue not violence to end problems that led to days of protests.
"I have asked the government to present its resignation today," Mubarak said, adding that he would move to appoint a new government on Saturday.
Demonstrations involving tens of thousands of people were the biggest and bloodiest in four consecutive days of protests by people fed up with unemployment, poverty, corruption and the lack of freedom under Mubarak. Protesters shouted "Down, Down, Hosni Mubarak," some throwing stones at police.
Medical sources said 13 protesters had been killed and 75 wounded on a day that saw security forces using rubber bullets, tear gas and water cannon to disperse crowds.