The controversial power to detain terror suspects for 28 days without charge will be allowed to lapse next week, reverting to 14 days.
Home Office Minister Damian Green said the order, which expires at midnight on Monday, will not be extended.
The findings of a full review of counter-terrorism powers will be announced by Home Secretary Theresa May next Wednesday, including long-term plans for the terror detention regime.
But answering an urgent question in the Commons Mr Green said: "In the interim I can announce that the Government will not be seeking to extend the order allowing the maximum 28 day limit and accordingly the current order will lapse on January 25 and the maximum limit of pre-charge detention will from that time revert to 14 days."
There were cheers from MPs who opposed the detention regime as Mr Green made his announcement.
The order allowing the 28-day limit was extended for six months last year while the full review was carried out.