Michael Douglas: 'The tumour is gone'

ITN News

by ITN News

  • About
  • Export
  • Add to

Five months after revealing he had throat cancer, Michael Douglas says the tumour has gone and his chances of beating the disease are good.

In an interview on NBC's Today show, which airs in the U.S. on Tuesday, the Oscar-winning actor told host Matt Lauer:

"The tumour is gone. But I have to check out on a monthly basis now to maintain. I guess there's not a total euphoria. I'll probably take a couple of months of getting checked out. But it's been a wild six-month ride."

Michael went on to say: "I think the odds are, with the tumour gone and what I know about this particular type of cancer, that I've got it beat."

Matt Lauer also asked the 66-year-old about putting weight on after his radiation treatment to which Michael said he had been, "eating like a pig." He is also working out in a gym and planning for an upcoming film role as famed pianist Liberace.

Michael and wife Catherine Zeta Jones are said to be "absolutely delighted" at the news.