Semardel is a semi-public joint stock company founded in 1984 by the elected representatives of Essonne (France), for the purpose of collecting, treating and recycling all waste and materials in an environment-friendly way, by anticipating regulatory and technical changes in order to ensure the lowest treatment cost for the member communities of Siredom (waste treatment union for 720,000 people and 126 municipalities). This comprehensive service is also available to all other municipalities, communities and companies.
Semardel’s shareholders stem from the public sector (72%) and private sector (28%). The Group has 410 employees and its turnover amounts to €62 million.
At present, the Group has waste treatment and collection facilities on its Ecosite of Vert Le Grand covering approximately 300 hectares. Those facilities are held by Semardel’s fully-owned subsidiaries:
- Semardel: the parent company which supports, controls and monitors the subsidiaries. All of the support services are provided by this entity.
- Semariv: a household waste incinerator with a capacity of 220,000 t/year producing electricity (100,000 MWh/year, covering the electricity needs of 70,000 households), an automated mechanical waste sorting facility dedicated to household packaging with a capacity of 43,000 t/year and a clinker treatment platform.
- Semavert: a non-hazardous waste storage facility with a capacity of 220,000 t/ year operating as a bioreactor and allowing greater use of the biogas to provide electricity and heat for the company premises and the evaporation of the leachate produced, a vegetable waste composting facility (40,000 t/year) producing certified organic compost and a wood energy facility (20,000 t/year) aimed at biomass heating systems.
- Semaer: a company dedicated to the collection of household and industrial waste and the operation of waste collection centres.
- Semapro: engineering office providing consulting services to local communities.www.semardel.fr