Now for an update on contaminated foods in China—the latest is toxic chives.
In Qingdao city in the eastern province of Shandong, nine people have reportedly taken ill after eating chives containing high levels of organic phosphorous—an extremely toxic pesticide. All nine experienced headaches, nausea, and vomiting after eating dishes containing chives at the same restaurant.
According to state-run media, Chinese health authorities have destroyed almost two tons of the contaminated chives.
While authorities have promised to improve on enforcing food safety standards, contaminated foods causing health problems keep coming up in China.
This latest food scare comes after reports of tainted string beans and cooking oil produced from toxic food waste.