The main square, or Plaza de Armas of Lima, has been the center of the action in Perus capital city since it was founded in 1535.
On its northern side lies the imposing neo-classic Palacio de Gobierno, the official residence of Perus President. On its Eastern side sits the recently renovated Roman Catholic Cathedral, with its museum of religious art. Its western side is shared by the Lima Municipal Building and regal Club Unión.
The Plaza de Armas was the site where Perus independence from Spain was declared in 1821.
In its center a magnificent bronze fountain dates back to 1650.
The main plaza was also where the forces of Conquistador Francisco Pizarro defeated the army of Inca general Quizo Yupanqui, to end the Inca rebellion of 1536.