Panzer III is the common name of a medium tank that was developed in the 1930s by Germany and used extensively in World War II. The official German designation was Panzerkampfwagen III (abbreviated PzKpfw III). It was intended to fight other armoured fighting vehicles and serve alongside the infantry-support Panzer IV.
The Panzer III was used in the campaigns against Poland, France, the Soviet Union and in North Africa. Some were still in use in Normandy and Arnhem in 1944.
In the Polish and French campaigns, the Panzer III formed a small part of the German armored forces. Only a few hundred Ausf A through F were available in these campaigns, most armed with the 37 mm cannon. They were the best medium tank available to the Germans and outclassed most of their opponents such as the Polish 7TP, French R-35 and H-35 light tanks.