Back in 1864, part of New York City’s Central Park was made into a grazing meadow for 200 sheep.The sheep were housed in a barn across the street and the man in charge of herding them lived in the upstairs of the adjoining Victorian style house.
Back in 1864, part of New York City’s Central Park was made into a grazing meadow for 200 sheep.
The sheep were housed in a Victorian style barn across the street and the man in charge of herding them lived in the upstairs of the building, known then as the “Sheepfold”.
The sheep would disturb traffic to be allowed crossing to and from the park into Sheep Meadow, which was off-limits to visitors, except for the perimeter where people could walk and look at the animals.
The city of Manhattan paid for the sheep’s care, which in turn kept the grass short and fertilized.
They were shown as an attraction at the park, and their wool was auctioned off.
This went on for 70 years, until 1934 when the barn where they lived was turned into a restaurant which still exists today known as Tavern on the Green.
Visitors to the park can still see sheep, but they have to go to the Central Park Zoo.
The meadow became Central Park’s first quiet zone, and is today loved by tourists and locals alike who enjoy sunbathing and other outside activities.