Advertising Console

    Couple Billed Nearly $90K for Emergency Room Visit

    Repost
    Geo Beats

    by Geo Beats

    3.1K
    40 views
    A couple in North Carolina is still in shock after receiving an insanely high bill resulting from an emergency room visit.

    Hospital stays aren’t cheap even for those who have health insurance. A couple in North Carolina is still in shock after receiving an insanely high bill resulting from an emergency room visit.

    It began in August of last year. Eric Ferguson stepped outside to take the trash to its container. He then felt something go after his foot.

    At first, Ferguson believed he had been stung by a bee but a close inspection revealed what appeared to be fang marks. Fearing it was a snake bite, he drove himself to the hospital.

    Doctors confirmed his thought and administered anti-venom treatment. Four vials of the medicine were used. He remained in the hospital for approximately 18 hours.

    He went home and everything was fine until Ferguson and his wife, Laura opened up the bill which totaled $89,227. About $81,000 of the amount pertained to the anti venom medicine.

    The bill was discounted down to around $20,000 through their Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina insurance, which also covered a major portion of it, and in the end, the Ferguson’s were out $5,400 from their own pockets. The couple alleged the bill amount was unfair, as Medicare would have been charged about half the price of what the Fergusons’ insurance was billed for after the discount.