A supermarket worker in Haverford Township, Pennsylvania was recently hospitalized after getting stung by a scorpion.
It’s hard to tell what living things are lurking in bulk food shipments. A supermarket worker in Haverford Township, Pennsylvania was recently hospitalized after getting stung by a scorpion, while unpacking a load of bananas.
Directly following the incident, which occurred at a local Giant Store, police and emergency personnel arrived at the scene to check over and transport the worker to the nearest medical facility.
According to reports, the brand of bananas was Chiquita and the shipment had come from a farm in Honduras. The scorpion was captured, however the exact species is not yet known.
As for the male employee, he was treated and released from the hospital. He is said to be taking some time off work while his injured hand heals.
A spokesperson for Giant Food Stores stated “We regret that this incident has occurred and are taking immediate steps to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future. We will continue to diligently inspect product both at our perishable distribution center and at the store.”
Chiquita will reportedly stop using the Honduras farm where the bananas originated from.